Requesting Transition Leave (Terminal Leave)

Rules for requesting transition leave
Transition leave (formerly called terminal leave) is a chargeable leave granted together with
transition from the Service, including retirement.

The unit commander or designated representative is the approval authority for transition leave
requests. Leave will not be granted if it exceeds that accrued or to be accrued between the date
of approval and date of transition. Leave granted must not interfere with operational
requirements, timely processing, or transition processing. Leave may be granted for soldiers
stationed overseas returning to CONUS or area of residence.

Soldiers stationed in CONUS (or OCONUS) will complete processing at an authorized and
directed transition activity before beginning leave. As an exception, soldiers retiring and
requesting a location of personal choice transition point will complete processing at a
designated U.S. Army Transition Point prior to departing on leave.

The established transition date may be extended only for soldiers pending physical disability
(AR 635–40). This allows them to use their accrued leave as transition leave, provided they
cannot sell or cash in leave to the Government. Since 10 February 1976, soldiers can sell or
cash in no more than 60 days leave one time during a military career, except as authorized by
Section 501 of Title 37 U.S.C as implemented by the DODFMR.

The following are examples of a soldier who has been identified for disability separation and has
60 days of leave. These examples show whether the soldier must sell or cash in his or her
leave, may use his or her leave as transition leave, or a combination of both.

(1) The soldier cashed in 60 days of accrued leave on 1 May 1977. The soldier may take 60
days of accrued leave plus any leave earned while on leave.

(2) On 1 April 1976, the soldier cashed in 30 days of accrued leave. The soldier can cash in 30
of his or her 60 days of accrued leave and use the remaining 30 days of leave plus any leave
accrued while on leave.

(3) On 1 March 1975, the soldier cashed in 60 days of leave. The soldier must cash in the
entire 60 days leave, the same as a soldier who has not cashed in any leave. Leave will be
terminated at 2400 on day of transition (concurrent with transition). It may also end upon
reporting to the designated U.S. Army Transition Point not earlier than the reporting date
specified on the soldier’s order, upon return to previous unit of assignment, upon
hospitalization, or upon death. For more info See
AR 600-8-10 >
DA Forms in Microsoft Word
DA Form 31 Leave Form
DA Form 87 Certificate of Training
DA Form 1059
DA 1380 Reserve Duty Performance
DA Form 2062 Hand Receipt
DA Form 3161 Request for Issue/Turn in
DA Form 3501 GCA Operations Log
DA Form 3848 Personal Clothing Request
NEW DA Form 4856 Counseling Form

Request a DA Form in MS Word Format
This Soldier needs to be counseled and then smacked around a bit
Are your Soldiers out of control?
As Non Commissioned Officers, it is our
responsibility to counsel our Soldiers on a
monthly basis and when they fail to follow

Counseling Soldiers on a DA Form 4856 >>>
DA Form 31
Custom Search
Terminal Leave
DA Forms
DD Forms
Army Field Manuals

Army Regulations
TC 3-22.20
Leave and Passes
Convalescent Leave

Transition Leave
Advanced Leave
DA 4187 Examples

DA 4856 Examples
DA Forms in word
This is not a Government Sponsored website Privacy and Disclaimer
DA Form 4187 Examples
Frequent Searches
1. Dwell Time Waiver
2. Reassignment
3. MOS Reclassification
4. Stabilization Request
5. Volunteer for Overseas Assignment